My first sweater! I feel so unbelievably accomplished.
It has 1/2 sleeves as I rarely wear full ones. If I do, I scrunch’em up.
Pattern: Owls by Kate Davies
Needles: Knitpicks Options, US10 and US10.5
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky (Not a fan of the horrible joins in the middle of the skein)
Size:L (I’m a size 8/10)
Started: November 30, 2009
Finished: December 6, 2009 (Crazy, right? I tend to knit into the wee hours of the night).
Here’s how I did the sleeves:
I measured how much shorter I wanted the sleeves (from my wrist to where I wanted it to hit was nine inches).
Rib was three inches and an increase was every two inches.
So 3in. (rib) + 2in. + 2 in. + 2 in. = 9in.
If I did full sleeves I would have cast on 32, so I figured by the time I knit 9 inches, I would have hypothetically had 38 stitches (32 stitches + 2 stitches + 2 stitches + 2 stitches).
So when I started my sleeves I cast on 38 stitches and ended with 44. (3 inches of rib was 38 stitches, next increase was to 40 stitches, next 42, next 44).
I didn’t cast off stitches (which you would do if you wanted to sew the sleeves to the body). I kept them “live” on safety pins (easier to pick up than with scrap yarn). I left the grafting for last (after I bound off at the neck) and did a three-needle bind off.
I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be more than happy to help any way I can